AudiutopiA

Welcome to AudiutopiA!

audioenjoyment.....
AudiutopiA

Audioenjoyment

Latest topics

»  Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player / Transport
September 5th 2013, 11:13 am by paintmaster

» Piano Black UFW12 mint....$300 reduced
July 15th 2013, 3:22 pm by mobileusa

» Klipsch Klipschorns Restored by Greg Roberts
May 10th 2013, 8:17 am by quantx

» engulfaudio
March 11th 2013, 8:12 am by Admin

» Melody I880 For Sale
March 11th 2013, 6:15 am by mobileusa

» M&K S150 THX system
May 21st 2012, 9:00 pm by ch46eseaknight

» The New Setup at our Townhouse
January 16th 2012, 8:44 am by mobileusa

» FS Oppo BDP 93
December 26th 2011, 8:15 am by petros the plumber

» WANTED AV123- ONIX SERIES INTERGRATEDS 60'S & 120'S & CD/PLAYERs
May 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs


    Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Share

    ch46eseaknight

    Number of posts : 106
    Age : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

    Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  ch46eseaknight on April 2nd 2009, 3:49 pm

    Well I finally got one. I got a hell of a deal for this Adcom GTP-450. $100.00 Shipped. They usually sell for a bit more. It will do everything I need for a 2.0 system. Should work great with my Adcom GFA-545 MKII amp.

    Here is a link for it.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330318003133

    Did not come with the remote, but I found a universal substitute for $24.99. All I care about is having the volume control. I will only use it for CD listening anyways.

    Also no Phono input. I'll upgrade that part later when I get a nice turntable. Still trying to get my hands on my dads vinyl collection.
    avatar
    mobileusa

    Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  mobileusa on April 2nd 2009, 7:41 pm

    nice find!...

    ch46eseaknight

    Number of posts : 106
    Age : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  ch46eseaknight on April 3rd 2009, 1:25 am

    Do you know if there is somthing like an outboard pre amp or somthing else that will allow me to run a turntable with no Phono input? I don't know much about the Phono stuff.
    avatar
    mobileusa

    Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  mobileusa on April 3rd 2009, 7:39 am

    ch46eseaknight wrote:Do you know if there is somthing like an outboard pre amp or somthing else that will allow me to run a turntable with no Phono input? I don't know much about the Phono stuff.

    a nice but very inexpensive cure.....

    http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc754pp.html
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-preamp_e.html

    jedinite24

    Number of posts : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

    Adcom GFP-750 (thoughts please)

    Post  jedinite24 on March 1st 2010, 9:39 pm

    Anyone have thoughts on the Adcom GFP-750? This preamp looks great with the exception of the remote in my opinion and depending on whether or not it has the blue or red circuit board it can command more than $650 on eBay or A'gon. Is this preamp worth all the hype? Thanks JD

    ch46eseaknight

    Number of posts : 106
    Age : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  ch46eseaknight on March 1st 2010, 10:12 pm

    I like my Adcom stuff but i got really good deals on it also. If I was looking to spend that kind of money, I think I would look at maybe a Rotel, or B&K for my own taste.

    Well having said that, I just looked at that Adcom. Looks like a very nice piece. Don't imagin you would be let down by it. Looks like it has some great reviews.

    What will you be pairing with it?
    avatar
    mobileusa

    Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  mobileusa on March 1st 2010, 11:19 pm

    I've had a few pieces throughout the years and had no problems at all and liked the build quality....

    jedinite24

    Number of posts : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  jedinite24 on March 2nd 2010, 8:51 pm

    ch46eseaknight wrote:I like my Adcom stuff but i got really good deals on it also. If I was looking to spend that kind of money, I think I would look at maybe a Rotel, or B&K for my own taste.

    Well having said that, I just looked at that Adcom. Looks like a very nice piece. Don't imagin you would be let down by it. Looks like it has some great reviews.

    What will you be pairing with it?

    ch46eseaknight

    I'd be pairing the Adcom GFP-750 with an Aleph J clone or a Threshold 400A along with an ERC-1 and an Oppo BDP-83.

    Here is some background as to why I was looking into the Adcom GFP-750.

    I have a McCormack TLC-1 which I love and sounds great when I paired it with a lot of diff amps. The TLC-1 has a passive and buffered set of outputs but I like to use the passive output. From a Sterehophile review I found that they had volume issues when they paired an Aleph 30 (decendant of Aleph J) with the TLC-1. A couple of Threshold 400A users said that Threshold gear never really worked well with passive preamps. I was looking into a back-up should the 400A or Aleph J not mate will with the TLC-1.

    I don't know if this matters but I saw that the 400A has a 20db gain and the AlephJ as a 19-20 db gain as well which seems low compared to amp nowadays. I believe Emotiva amps have a 32db gain. Does this factor into how well an amp mates to a passive preamp?

    Anyway any ideas or thoughts on this issue are welcome. Thanks JD
    avatar
    skeeter99

    Number of posts : 89
    Age : 37
    Location : Portland, OR
    Thanked by peers : 6
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  skeeter99 on March 4th 2010, 9:24 am

    Oh that's funny you have that setup. That preamp/amp was my first 2-channel setup I ever got. I used it to power a set of Dahlquist DQ-20's and it was a fantastic setup. The Adcom gear with a bit on the bright side for me, but still really good sound nonetheless. Congrats and be sure to post pics once you get it all set up cheers

    jedinite24

    Number of posts : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

    1st 2 channel set-up

    Post  jedinite24 on March 9th 2010, 10:15 pm

    Hey Skeeter

    So you had an Adcom GFP-750 and a Threshold 400A and it sounded great? Cool. I was hoping you had a McCormack TLC-1 and a 400A and it sounded great. I really like the TLC-1 and am hoping it will mesh well with the 400A. I've tried bidding on GDP-750s on ebay but keep osing out on them. I guess I have to bid higher.

    Thanks JD


    skeeter99 wrote:Oh that's funny you have that setup. That preamp/amp was my first 2-channel setup I ever got. I used it to power a set of Dahlquist DQ-20's and it was a fantastic setup. The Adcom gear with a bit on the bright side for me, but still really good sound nonetheless. Congrats and be sure to post pics once you get it all set up cheers
    avatar
    skeeter99

    Number of posts : 89
    Age : 37
    Location : Portland, OR
    Thanked by peers : 6
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  skeeter99 on March 10th 2010, 8:51 am

    JD,

    Oh, no I was responding to the OP, I had a GTP-450 and GFA-545 mkII as my first preamp/amp combo. Very Happy

    Scott


    jedinite24 wrote:Hey Skeeter

    So you had an Adcom GFP-750 and a Threshold 400A and it sounded great? Cool. I was hoping you had a McCormack TLC-1 and a 400A and it sounded great. I really like the TLC-1 and am hoping it will mesh well with the 400A. I've tried bidding on GDP-750s on ebay but keep osing out on them. I guess I have to bid higher.

    Thanks JD


    skeeter99 wrote:Oh that's funny you have that setup. That preamp/amp was my first 2-channel setup I ever got. I used it to power a set of Dahlquist DQ-20's and it was a fantastic setup. The Adcom gear with a bit on the bright side for me, but still really good sound nonetheless. Congrats and be sure to post pics once you get it all set up cheers

    jedinite24

    Number of posts : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

    Adcom GTP-450

    Post  jedinite24 on March 10th 2010, 9:24 pm

    Hey Scott

    NP. I think I will try to find another Adcom rather than GFP-750. The last one on ebay that had the blue circuit board went for $795 + shipping. The cheapest I've seen a GFP-750 that I can remember was $625. I don't know if I can find such a sweet deal on the GTP-450 like the OP but who knows.

    Thx again. JD

    ch46eseaknight

    Number of posts : 106
    Age : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  ch46eseaknight on March 10th 2010, 11:21 pm

    You can still get the GTP-450 for under 150.00. Ussually remotless though. I just got my replacment remote from remotes.com for $40.00 and it works great. Kinda ugly but who cares.


    Good Luck.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Adcom Pre amp finally.

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is November 19th 2017, 6:10 am