May 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

Why would I need a stand alone DAC?

ch46eseaknight

Number of posts : 106
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Why would I need a stand alone DAC?

Post  ch46eseaknight on February 28th 2009, 2:47 am

I guess I'll have to spend countless more hours reading about DAC's now Shocked . Why would i need one. My Denon DVD2910 has Burr Brown DAC's. I just run anolog from there.
    Or am I missing somthing here?
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Re: Why would I need a stand alone DAC?

Post  mobileusa on February 28th 2009, 6:18 pm

beats me, I am DAC illiterate... No

monkeypimp

Number of posts : 54
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post  monkeypimp on March 1st 2010, 10:36 pm

ch46eseaknight wrote:I guess I'll have to spend countless more hours reading about DAC's now Shocked . Why would i need one. My Denon DVD2910 has Burr Brown DAC's. I just run anolog from there.

I personally think that they have some purpose driven uses. I use a SuperDac 707 usb with my computer setup. I didn't want a big amp on my desk or a reciever so I built a DIY Class D amp...I needed to the DAC to get the audio from the Computer to the Amp....It works freaking awesome and the Amp that BillnChristy and Dweekie helped me with rocks the ELT525m's hard.

But to add a dac to a system that already has good to great dac's to me seems kinda pointless unless you have a super high end system.

blackzarg

Number of posts : 4
    Thanked by peers : 0

Post  blackzarg on March 7th 2010, 8:43 pm

monkeypimp wrote:
    ch46eseaknight wrote:I guess I'll have to spend countless more hours reading about DAC's now Shocked . Why would i need one. My Denon DVD2910 has Burr Brown DAC's. I just run anolog from there.

I personally think that they have some purpose driven uses. I use a SuperDac 707 usb with my computer setup. I didn't want a big amp on my desk or a reciever so I built a DIY Class D amp...I needed to the DAC to get the audio from the Computer to the Amp....It works freaking awesome and the Amp that BillnChristy and Dweekie helped me with rocks the ELT525m's hard.

But to add a dac to a system that already has good to great dac's to me seems kinda pointless unless you have a super high end system.

Pretty much! The DAC in my macbook Pro is far inferior to the Nuforce uDAC that I have hooked up to it.
    Steve_vai_rules

Number of posts : 31

Post  Steve_vai_rules on March 11th 2010, 3:13 am

an extrenal dac is only necessary in certain circumstances. very very high end 2 channel systems using a multi-part transport-dac-psu-clock-etc. (think dCS scarlatti) kind of setup, studio setups (multi channel ad/da conversion), and computer audio for 2 channel listening..

Matt
    washburn

Number of posts : 26

Post  washburn on March 28th 2010, 3:28 pm

I can think of other situations where one would need an ext. DAC: like mine:
    I use a low cost Onkyo DVD changer as my primary CD player, and obviously the on board DAC is not of very high quality, because audio is not the primary purpose of a DVD changer, but i wanted the comfort of a changer AND better audio quality: I got a $80 Super Pro 707 DAC and modded it with a help of a member at av123 (during the good times there, upgraded some caps, and eletrilytic paper lining of the inside). so i use the dvd changer with this DAC, and the SQ is like 10x better - it sounds like a $700-800 CD player now.
    Another member did a comparo test with his Paradisea DAC (about $800) and the tiny super pro came very close being equal.

so, IMO, to turn a low cost player into a transporter and bypass its built in DAC, and to improve the SQ a lot, an affordable DAC is a great tool.

your system does NOT have to be "very very high end" to use a DAC and get a lot of benefits .[u]

Hugh

Number of posts : 186
    Thanked by peers : 28

Post  Hugh on March 28th 2010, 5:01 pm

+1
    washburn wrote:
    so, IMO, to turn a low cost player into a transporter and bypass its built in DAC, and to improve the SQ a lot, an affordable DAC is a great tool.

your system does NOT have to be "very very high end" to use a DAC and get a lot of benefits .[u]

ch46eseaknight

Post  ch46eseaknight on March 28th 2010, 9:31 pm

So do you think it would be an upgrade for my Denon dvd-2910?
    washburn

Post  washburn on March 29th 2010, 7:16 am

Can you find out which built-in DACs that Denon has? if they're inferior to the ext. DAC you're considering, then you will have an advantage.

ch46eseaknight

Post  ch46eseaknight on March 29th 2010, 1:28 pm

I'm pretty sure when I read about it before buying it had Burr-Brown DAC's. It also plays DVD-Audio and SACD's. 192Khz
    washburn

Post  washburn on March 29th 2010, 4:53 pm

I am not sure how much you would benefit; but from what I have read, even when the on board and ext DAC are of equal quality, an external DAC still has advantages depending on how it is "implemented" (i am not sure what that exactly means); and you can add cheap mods to make it a lot better, too...

In my case, when I purchased the ext Super Pro DAC, I did many side by side comparisons until I was sure that there WAS a definite difference in SQ, so I kept the ext DAC; when I modded the ext DAC for about $30, the difference became even bigger; I mean it sounds really like a rather expensive CDp now.... and the DAC that I had in the Onkyo wasn't "bad" by any means-they were Wolfsson DACs, which are pretty decent, from what I have read. the tiny ext DAC still outplayed it dramatically. Denon is a higher quality product (at least per reputation) than Onkyo, though.

so, even though Burr Brown DACs are good DACs, you "might" get a better SQ with the ext DAC..the best way to decide is, order the ext DAC you have in mind, and do several comparisons, and if you think it's the same/worse, just send it back; you might lose a few $ in shipping it back, but at least you will know, and stop wondering.
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12

Post  mobileusa on March 30th 2010, 8:39 am

A friend of mine installed Bursons in his Music Hall...

This is not his video but I thought it was informative;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ4zuQR6QBQ

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is July 24th 2017, 2:31 am