» M&K S150 THX system
May 21st 2012, 9:00 pm by ch46eseaknight

» The New Setup at our Townhouse
January 16th 2012, 8:44 am by mobileusa

» FS Oppo BDP 93
December 26th 2011, 8:15 am by petros the plumber

» WANTED AV123- ONIX SERIES INTERGRATEDS 60'S & 120'S & CD/PLAYERs
May 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

Northwest GTG for Angel City Audio (Melody and Onix importers) - January 29th

skeeter99

Number of posts : 89
    Thanked by peers : 6
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Northwest GTG for Angel City Audio (Melody and Onix importers) - January 29th

Post  skeeter99 on October 24th 2010, 4:26 pm

In celebration of Hugh's new company's, Angel City Audio who imports Melody Hi Fi and Onix, new Trinity (LCR combo) I am hosting a GTG at my house in Monroe, WA January 29th starting at 12:00 noon. This will go till probably 4-5:00 and we will have refreshments, some food, and some beer and wine. This is going to be a pretty informal event and is going to be set up with people able to come and go as they please but would like to some all group listening at a couple points throughout the afternoon. Hugh will be here in full effect to talk about the company and the speakers so it will be a great chance to meet and great with The Man himself

We are going to have two different setups going in different rooms (both subject to change but only by adding more gear to listen to!!):
    Main Living Room - 2 Channel
    Trinity L&R
    Melody Integrated
    Rotel CD Player

Theater Room
    Trinity LCR
    MFW-15's X 2
    Onkyo 805
    Panasonic BD-60 for Blu-Ray
    Toshiba HD-A30 for HD-DVD
    Panasonic PT-AX100U Projector (720p) and DIY 97" Screen

Since my house isn't all that big we are going to keep this as a relatively small event with 15 people max. I am going to keep the post on Chase Home Theater (http://www.chasehometheater.com/forum/showthread.php?p=62236#post62236)as the master list (I will have the same post on other forums) so please PM me if you are going to come and what your email address is. I will then email everyone a week before the event with my address.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!

Scott

Last edited by skeeter99 on November 17th 2010, 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 171
    Thanked by peers : 4
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Re: Northwest GTG for Angel City Audio (Melody and Onix importers) - January 29th

Post  Admin on October 24th 2010, 5:56 pm

Awesome Scott!
    I can honestly say they are my favorite by far. Waiting for my order as we speak....hint hint Razz
    skeeter99

Re: Northwest GTG for Angel City Audio (Melody and Onix importers) - January 29th

Post  skeeter99 on October 24th 2010, 6:19 pm

It should be a lot of fun and I'm really looking forward to getting them and hearing how these babies do Smile
    mobileusa

Number of posts : 564
    Thanked by peers : 12
    Registration date : 2009-01-30

Post  mobileusa on October 25th 2010, 10:34 am

oh, you haven't heard them?....better prepare yourself! Laughing
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on October 25th 2010, 11:13 am

Not yet, REALLY looking forward to it Smile
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on November 8th 2010, 12:55 pm

Update with revised date. Hope others can make it!
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on November 17th 2010, 3:30 pm

A little bump as we get a little over 2 months from the event! I'm in negotiations right now with another surprise vendor for the event and I think a lot of people would love to see their products. Don't want to spill the beans though Smile

Hope to see some more people come. Either PM me or reply on this thread if you might come. As stated in the first post I've got the main thread over at CHT and am keeping the "official" list over there.

Thanks!

Scott
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on December 16th 2010, 4:23 pm

Just wanted to link to a post in another thread on some of the comparisons we'll be able to do:

POST #86: http://www.chasehometheater.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65092&postcount=86

[QUOTE=Hugh;65092]You rang? Smile

I had heard both and in my opinion, I will not go back to the Mini stock version.

We got to try our Trinity Center with your Mini next month Scott.[/QUOTE]

POST #87:http://www.chasehometheater.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65094&postcount=87

[QUOTE=skeeter99;65094]Oh definitely! We'll be able to do that pretty easily. I'm gonna have it set up so we can demo between my stock Mini's and the Trinity L/R off your Melody MK88 Smile We'll also be able to try the Trinity Center against my X-Voce too. It'll be fun :rock:[/QUOTE]
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on January 11th 2011, 9:55 pm

Email just sent to everyone who has given me their email address. There are some of you that have said you want to come but didn't give me your address. Please PM me your email addy and I'll send the detailed email to you.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!

Thanks!

Scott
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa on January 28th 2011, 7:32 pm

Good luck tomorrow!
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on January 28th 2011, 7:56 pm

mobileusa wrote:Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks! It's gonna be fun!!
    mobileusa

Post  mobileusa on February 1st 2011, 10:14 am

share da pics bro afro
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on February 1st 2011, 10:24 am

mobileusa wrote:share da pics bro afro

I have a couple pics over at CHT and when their forum is back up I'll post here. I've already got it all formatted so it'll be way easier. Shortly!

Scott
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on February 1st 2011, 11:19 am

Thank you Sir cheers
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on February 3rd 2011, 12:20 pm

2..3...4... Sleep
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on February 3rd 2011, 12:26 pm

Admin wrote:2..3...4... Sleep

Sorry, crazy busy at work and I haven't been bringing my laptop home in the evenings. I'll see if I can find time today. I need to do a writeup for a few forums Smile
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on February 4th 2011, 12:22 am

I figured now would be a better time than later as I still have the overall character of the gear still fairly fresh in my mind. I don't have the best aural memory so I apologize in advance if I miss something. Please bear in mind these are merely "my" thoughts and I am FAR from an audiophile or reviewer Smile

Melody AN300B
    This amp is HEAVY! Seriously, I think it weighs 88lbs if I remember the specs right. It looks absolutely stunning with the glossy wood sides and satin silver. It really looks gorgeous.

Sound-wise, I don't think I've ever heard a smoother amp. The overall tonal character I would describe as buttery. Ok, maybe I am an audiophile b/c that seems like an audiophile word Wink LOL! Seriously, though, the sound is overall very smooth. It doesn't appear to add or subtract to the music, it just gets out of the way and lets the music come forth. I hooked this up to my Mini's and I know the sound of my Mini's VERY well having listened to them through lots of different sources. My Mini's have never sounded as good as they did with the Melody. The bass response was clearly defined without being bloated. I've heard that tube amps are supposed to be more laid back in character than SS amps (on the whole, obviously lots of exceptions) but I didn't find this to be the case. I found that details on the top end that I had never hear before were now clearly there. I don't have specific examples but noticed it on virtually every track I played.

Melody MK88:
    The general statements about the AN300B apply to the MK88 but just not to quite the same degree. The biggest overall difference I heard between the two was that the MK88 was more of an in your face sound. It was more rock than jazz if that makes sense. This is definitely not a bad thing. Think of the AN300B as sitting down in a dark room sipping on Grand Marnier whereas the MK88 is black lights with a Red Bull/Vodka. Both great venues and drinks but a different presentation. I REALLY liked the MK88 and thought that for my general listening tastes that this would be a better amp for me.

ACA Trinity:
    The suckers are big too! I don't think Hugh does anything little ... I've seen all the pictures of these things but didn't realize how big they were until I unboxed them and got them on their stands. They really are deep! It's not a bad thing at all, just an observation. I personally like the imposing size. Of course, I have Mini's and an X-Voce and I think they're a bit on the small side Smile Fit and finish is classic Sound Art China (whose building the cabinets for ACA): Beautiful veneer, perfect seams, sturdy, overall very top quality. You'd have to spend A LOT more to get better cabinets.

Onto the sound (what matters). These have an extremely different tonal character than my Mini's. Go figure, they remind me a lot of the Onix REF3's Wink I will let Hugh give the background of these but basically they were originally designed as a center channel to match with the REF3's, minus the ERT supertweeter. They use the same 7" Atohm drivers and Vifa XT tweet as the REF3's. I haven't heard these with the REF3's yet but I think they would make a much better center than the old REF100 that was the standard center for the REF series.

The Vifa tweeter has much more sparkle and resolution than the top end of my Mini's. At first it appeared to me too bright but after enough listening I realized they weren't too bright but were bringing forth details that were pushed down to almost inaudibility with my Mini's. The bass on the Trinity wasn't as deep as the Mini's (40hz for Trinity vs 27hz for the Mini's) but was much more clearly defined. I've found the Mini's bass to be good at low levels but tends to get too boomy at higher levels. This did not come out with the Trinity as they were much more controlled through the entire operating range than my Mini's. Bass was hard hitting and detailed without getting bloated. I really liked the resolution these presented.

For HT, I have to say my room has never sounded so good. Everyone commented that my room is overly bright as I have no room treatments. With my Bostons that are usually in that room it doesn't appear to me to be much of a problem With the greater resolution of the Trinity, the room did seem to be too bright in certain scenes. Since these were designed originally as a center its critical to know how they do in that application. Verdict: LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF THE OLD REF100! I used to have the REF100. I liked it as it had great vocal detail. Virtually everything else was very "boxy" in its presentation. It always sounded like the dialog/effects/etc was coming from a box rather than coming from the screen. The Trinity CS does not suffer from this. My eyes were constantly locked to the screen and the sound seemed to naturally come from the center of the screen, not from below the screen as its set up in my room. I have to say, the full setup was incredibly coherent. Panning was completely seamless and they simply presented a wall of sound. I sat mostly off center and it did not appear to me that off axis intelligibility suffered at all. I don't think my room has ever sounded as good as it does right now. I really don't want to send these speakers back!!

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on February 4th 2011, 11:16 am

Thank you Scott for your pics and description of the gear. It was definitely worth the wait...Sounds like a success! cheers
    skeeter99

Post  skeeter99 on February 16th 2011, 10:28 am

Admin wrote:Thank you Scott for your pics and description of the gear. It was definitely worth the wait...Sounds like a success! cheers

The true measure of success will be whether or not sales increase Smile It was fun though and I'm still enjoying the gear!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 25th 2017, 12:58 pm