May 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

Crossover question.

ch46eseaknight

Number of posts : 106
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Crossover question.

Post  ch46eseaknight on July 3rd 2010, 10:24 pm

I took the crossovers out of my Paradigms and used a volt meter to measure the resistance . When I measured the upper posts for the highs I got no reading. (by the way, the tweeter has its own board, and the woofers have their own boards) The lower post for the woofers gave me about 4 ohms. So I took the tweeter out and measured direct and got just over 3 ohms. I then measured the wires coming off the crossover to the tweeter and got about the same reading of 3 ohms. I plugged the amp up to the upper posts for the tweeters and they work, but I can not get any resistance or continuity from the posts. I also tried under the posts where they are soldered to the crossover input. The only place I get a resistance or continuity is after the crossover on the wire leads to the tweeters.

Next I check for continuity on the all the components on the crossovers for the tweeters. The white square blocks i assumed were resistors? They all checked out. Then I checked the cap. I could not get a reading on the cap. I tried the cap for the woofers and it gave me a reading. But not for the tweeter cap. It looks like they used Benin caps. Not sure of the spelling. But should I not get a reading?

After I was done with one I checked the other speaker, same exact thing. But I did notice a difference on the board. The first crossover I took out has an extra resistor (White Block) soldered to another resistor. Please correct me if i'm wrong but should both crossovers be identical????

Hugh

Number of posts : 186
    Thanked by peers : 28
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Re: Crossover question.

Post  Hugh on July 7th 2010, 9:33 pm

To my knowledge, they should be the same.
    ch46eseaknight wrote:I took the crossovers out of my Paradigms and used a volt meter to measure the resistance . When I measured the upper posts for the highs I got no reading. (by the way, the tweeter has its own board, and the woofers have their own boards) The lower post for the woofers gave me about 4 ohms. So I took the tweeter out and measured direct and got just over 3 ohms. I then measured the wires coming off the crossover to the tweeter and got about the same reading of 3 ohms. I plugged the amp up to the upper posts for the tweeters and they work, but I can not get any resistance or continuity from the posts. I also tried under the posts where they are soldered to the crossover input. The only place I get a resistance or continuity is after the crossover on the wire leads to the tweeters.

Next I check for continuity on the all the components on the crossovers for the tweeters. The white square blocks i assumed were resistors? They all checked out. Then I checked the cap. I could not get a reading on the cap. I tried the cap for the woofers and it gave me a reading. But not for the tweeter cap. It looks like they used Benin caps. Not sure of the spelling. But should I not get a reading?

After I was done with one I checked the other speaker, same exact thing. But I did notice a difference on the board. The first crossover I took out has an extra resistor (White Block) soldered to another resistor. Please correct me if i'm wrong but should both crossovers be identical????

Current date/time is July 21st 2017, 10:36 am