May 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

Emotiva HDMI

ch46eseaknight

Number of posts : 106
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2009-02-27

Emotiva HDMI

Post  ch46eseaknight on June 18th 2010, 6:03 pm

Any thoughts on thier quality? I have a 8ft Blue Jeans Cable now for my BluRay PS3. (Direct from the PS3 to the TV, and as far from power cables as possible)I'm not happy with it. Seems to have some problems, like horizontal lines and some jitters. I get the same problem from my Denon DVD-2910 upconverting to 1080i, so I know its not the PS3. I really hope it is not the TV. Guess I would start with the cable. So I was going to upgrade but don't want to spend $200 on a AudioQuest cable as I no longer get a discount with them.

Anyways does anyone have any input on the Emotiva HDMI? Plus they are on sale with free shipping right now.

Larry D

Number of posts : 47
    Thanked by peers : 0
    Registration date : 2009-02-03

Re: Emotiva HDMI

Post  Larry D on June 19th 2010, 2:42 am

I have Emotiva cables which I purchased along with their $399 new CD player (which is very nice, by the way, if you're looking for a new, affordable CD player... I also have two Oppos, but not the new model that all the reviewers are praising, and I've been very happy using the older models as CD players... although with the purchase of the Emotiva CD player, one of the Oppos is now for the past three months a DVD player connected to a plasma tv... unfortunately, we rarely watch movies so it has sat forlornly lonesome and unused, but I just bought a four DVD set of Victor Borge, so... what was the subject here... oh, Emotiva.

Okay, I like the Emotiva cables. I was very impressed with their build quality, plus they are nice looking cables. I mention that because I bought some used expensive cables for a song and I don't remember the brand name and I'm sure they're really good, but they're ugly as all get out, just kind plain black cords... but the Emotiva cables look nice in case anyone is interested and you let them peek behind your equipment.

They have two models. I forget which one I got. I did email Emotiva to ask the difference one other time when they sent me a Sale Coupon and one of their cables was also on sale. The nice lady answered my questions and I think she said they're basically the same inside. They are nice looking interconnects. They sound good to me. They're in my price range for " budget upgraded interconnects". They're sold individually. I like the fact that they are nicely packaged and come with an assortment of different colored rubber bands that slip over the gold plated plugs so I can use one color for the CD player, another color for the tuner, and so on.

The other cables I was considering in this price range were the better ones from Parts Express. I'm sure they're all pretty good. At this price you can play around with them and maybe hear differences or pretend you hear differences. What you do in the privacy of your own home is okay with me at least in audio. I know there are way more expensive interconnects and I really don't doubt that some of the expensive ones may sound a little bit better here or there... for example, some are "brighter" sounding, and some, say you have bright sounding speaker, may tone it down. At least that what some of the reviewers say and do.

If your budget is for cables in the around $30 per pair range, these are nice cables. Keep in mind that Emotiva sells amplifiers and a preamp and now a pretty good reasonably priced CD player (to compete with the better ones, such as, NAD and Cambridge Audio, and Oppo if you also want to play DVD music, SACDs, etc., plus they're a very very good CD player) and, it makes sense that Emotiva would want their cables to make their products sound really good... they wouldn't want to sell a cheap, bad sounding cable that would make their amps, etc., sound "bad"... so they've gone to some effort to produce and sell and good sounding, well made, but affordable interconnect.

Please, don't start arguing about cables. There's others out there in this price range... I mentioned Parts Express has several brands, a lot of people like the Blue Jeans cables, etc. There's no shortage of brands of cables to choose from.

By the way, I just got an email today from Emotiva. They're having a big 4th of July Sale... 10% off... that's $40 off their $399 CD player, or $50 off a $500 super amp, for example... a lot of people, at least on the old now ghost town AV123 forum used to swear by the affordable Emotiva amps... also, the email said that the 4th of July Sale includes 15% off all cables! So, if a pair is around $30, that's $4.50 off.

http://emotiva.com

ch46eseaknight

Post  ch46eseaknight on June 29th 2010, 4:42 pm

I went ahead and called Vincent at Emotiva and ordered a 4 meter X-Series HDMI and some X-Series .5 meter RCA cables to link my Denon 2910 to the Adcom Pre amp. I already have Audiquest DiamondBacks for the Pre amp to amp. If I like the Emotiva cables I will order more.

Great prices right now at 20% off. Plus a free T-Shirt.

ch46eseaknight

Post  ch46eseaknight on July 6th 2010, 5:58 pm

Fed Ex dropped off the the Emotiva HDMI today. So I hooked it up to the PS3 and put in a bluray. Cant tell a difference between it and my BlueJeans HDMI. Oh well.

Anyways the reason I go a new HDMI was because I was noticing some horizontal lines when watching blurays. I'm getting the same thing with the new cable. So I thought I would get my HD-DVD player out of the closet and toss in a HD-DVD to see if I got the same thing. I did not. It is a far better picture then my blurays and the lines were gone. So I went to the menu to check the resolution output of the HD-DVD and noticed that 1080P/24Hz was off. So it was only outputting 1080P. I turned the 24Hz on and the lines returned. So i turned it back off. I then went back to the PS3 and checked to see if 24Hz was on. It was. As soon as I turned it off my picture improved and the line are gone. I'm very happy that it was not my TV having a problem.

All this did make me wish HD-DVD was still around. I might get on Ebay to see what other movies I can find for it. It's a shame to let it go to waist.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content