May 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

Value? How to Tell?

johzel

Number of posts : 81
    Thanked by peers : 0
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Value? How to Tell?

Post  johzel on May 12th 2010, 7:04 am

So, this issue occured to me yesterday while driving home from a salon with my new Parasound stack. As my learning curve continues I'm hoping you guys can help me to understand this issue. And it comes down to how does one determine and make purchasing decisions placed on the actual real value of a product. Let's use a speaker example but I assume this applies to all audio equipment.

Company A lists a retail value of their speaker at $4,000. Then your local store or internet dealer sells it at $2500 when in fact it's probably really worth $2,000 if you look at the components etc. Company B lists and sells their speaker at $3,000. That's speakers B's actual retail value and that's the real value. If Company B tried to sell their speaker at $2500 they'd actually take a loss. Both speakers look really nice and because neither is really crap sound pretty darn good. So how is a newbie like me to distinguish the real value of both speakers. Consumers shopping "the deal" buy the $2500 thinking wow, they saved $1500- how great is that. But speaker A was actually the worse value of the two. Company B makes the better product, marks the retail where it should be and therefore has to sell it where the retail should be. Yet the bargain shopper passes it by for the better "deal" . . .

So, this happens right? It happens every where else and must happen in audio too. So, how is a still learning beginner audiophile like me to tell the difference. I get the Best Buys of the world - that's easy. But I suspect this also happens in the middle to higher end market as well.

Am I correct?

maximum kahuna

Number of posts : 4
    Thanked by peers : 0
    Registration date : 2009-04-10

Re: Value? How to Tell?

Post  maximum kahuna on May 15th 2010, 11:04 am

"Real value" is an elusive term. Not really just a sum of the costs of the components. Labor costs vary across the world, so Chinese assembled products may have a different relationship to value than US-assembled ones. Value is also relative. If you do not like the sound of Klipsch speakers, no matter what the price of Klipschorns, they may not be a value to you. In theory, a product's monetary value is what people are willing to pay, no matter what the cost. However what people are willing to pay can be and is manipulated by advertising, reviews, etc. But ultimately what people are willing to pay, for whatever reasons, is the value of the item. So perhaps the used market is true measure of value, becuase if no one is willing to pay the price asked for an item , the it is overvalued.

Philospohical musings while driving can be dangerous. Do not think and drive!

Hugh

Number of posts : 186
    Thanked by peers : 28
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post  Hugh on May 19th 2010, 11:19 am

I've been thinking about this topic.

I'll say something at lunch today.

Hugh

Number of posts : 186
    Thanked by peers : 28
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Post  Hugh on May 19th 2010, 12:48 pm

I agreed with this totally.

Furthermore, how do you define true value in the used market when the original business can manage to 'devalue' their own products?

As far as I'm concerned, if I bought a certain item and it's been given me plenty of invaluable pleasure of using it then its value exceeded my expectation.

So, I guess value is really defined by your own measure and not by other irrelevant influence.

maximum kahuna wrote:"Real value" is an elusive term. Not really just a sum of the costs of the components. Labor costs vary across the world, so Chinese assembled products may have a different relationship to value than US-assembled ones. Value is also relative. If you do not like the sound of Klipsch speakers, no matter what the price of Klipschorns, they may not be a value to you. In theory, a product's monetary value is what people are willing to pay, no matter what the cost. However what people are willing to pay can be and is manipulated by advertising, reviews, etc. But ultimately what people are willing to pay, for whatever reasons, is the value of the item. So perhaps the used market is true measure of value, becuase if no one is willing to pay the price asked for an item , the it is overvalued.

Philospohical musings while driving can be dangerous. Do not think and drive!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 22nd 2017, 6:20 pm