May 24th 2011, 12:07 pm by oddjobs

Amp Problem Any Ideas??

johzel

Number of posts : 81
    Thanked by peers : 0
    Registration date : 2010-02-28

Amp Problem Any Ideas??

Post  johzel on March 16th 2010, 7:32 pm

So, I brought my quads upstairs today to hook up to my NAD C355BEE amp. I also connected new bi-wire for the Quads. I had the NAD turned off. So, I hook everything up and turn on the amp . . . nothing just a red light. Then it gets worse . . . I unplug the amp, turn the on/off switch on the back panel off and reconnect. After reconnecting I switch the back on/off switch to "on" and the Volume button starts rotating from "off" and keeps going all the way to full volume - all by itself. And then I can hear a buzz as if the volume knob would like to keep turning clockwise but is already stuck on full volume and can't turn any further. I unplug everything, start over and the same thing keeps happening?

Any ideas? I think something inside must have blown or gave way in the process. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any quick ideas? Or time to take to NAD dealer - fortunately, it's still under warranty.

Thanks,
    John Z.

Hugh

Number of posts : 186
    Thanked by peers : 28
    Registration date : 2010-02-27

Re: Amp Problem Any Ideas??

Post  Hugh on March 16th 2010, 8:18 pm

Take it back for a new one.

johzel wrote:So, I brought my quads upstairs today to hook up to my NAD C355BEE amp. I also connected new bi-wire for the Quads. I had the NAD turned off. So, I hook everything up and turn on the amp . . . nothing just a red light. Then it gets worse . . . I unplug the amp, turn the on/off switch on the back panel off and reconnect. After reconnecting I switch the back on/off switch to "on" and the Volume button starts rotating from "off" and keeps going all the way to full volume - all by itself. And then I can hear a buzz as if the volume knob would like to keep turning clockwise but is already stuck on full volume and can't turn any further. I unplug everything, start over and the same thing keeps happening?

Any ideas? I think something inside must have blown or gave way in the process. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any quick ideas? Or time to take to NAD dealer - fortunately, it's still under warranty.

Thanks,
    John Z.

jedinite24

Number of posts : 39
    Thanked by peers : 3
    Registration date : 2010-03-01

NAD volume issue

Post  jedinite24 on March 17th 2010, 7:45 pm

Sounds like something really went wrong internally with the NAD. Maybe the preamp section of it and/or volume controls got affected when you hooked everything up. Doesn't seem like a fuse issue. I agree with the post above. Since it is under warranty send it in for replacement.

Good luck and sorry I wasn't much help. I tried to contact crutchfield customer support since they carry the NAD in question and they said to call their tech support in the morning.

JD
    johzel

Post  johzel on March 23rd 2010, 5:39 am

Well, I took the amp to my dealer yesterday after having been out of town for a bit. No one there had ever heard of a rogue volume control knob either. And the amp is clearly messed up. Does sound like something went awry internally. Fortunately, it is under warranty. I requested they work with their NAD rep. in tryng to just get me a new amp. It doesn't have very many hours on it. I'm not optimistic that they'll give me a new amp but it will get fixed under warranty at least. They just picked up the Jolida line of amps - I'm thinking I'll try to make a trade when it's fixed. Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and support. Appreciate it.

Hugh

Post  Hugh on March 23rd 2010, 7:52 am

Morning John,

Glad to hear.

This is my $0.02:

Jolida is nice but Melody is actually a better product.

Try to get a store credit instead. Smile

OK, enough selling speech from me. Wink
    johzel

Post  johzel on March 23rd 2010, 11:24 am

Hugh wrote:Morning John,

Glad to hear.

This is my $0.02:

Jolida is nice but Melody is actually a better product.

Try to get a store credit instead. Smile

OK, enough selling speech from me. Wink

Thanks, Hugh. I do wish they carried Onix or Melody but have to work with the brands they carry. I think the Jolida would be a step up from the NAD and still in an affordable price range. Of course, my other option is to take the amp back when fixed, sell it, and then look for something else. But right now, I'm just feeling trading it back to the store on a Jolida is my best option.

Hugh

Post  Hugh on March 23rd 2010, 12:46 pm

That might just be your best option John. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is September 26th 2017, 12:10 pm